How Can I Report Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation?

Call 1-800-458-9858 to report suspected abuse or neglect of people who are older or who have disabilities.

You can call this number to report abuse that occurs in:

  • Nursing homes
  • Assisted living centers
  • Intermediate care facilities Intermediate care facilities
  • Home Health and Hospice
  • Day Activity and Health Services

You can also report abuse of people who get help in their homes from the Texas Department of Aging and Disability (DADS).

Agents answer calls Monday through Friday from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. If you call outside those hours, leave a message; an employee will call you back by the next workday.

Reporting Abuse FAQs

Click on a plus sign to read the answer to the question.

Expand All | Close All

No. DADS keeps your name and that of the other person confidential, unless required to release it by law. However, if you choose to remain anonymous, DADS has no way to let you know the results of the investigation.

Employees from the DADS Regulatory Services Division make an unannounced onsite investigation. The investigation may include:

  • Observations
  • Records reviews
  • Interviews with the person making the complaint, residents, staff, family members or others

When DADS is done with the investigation, the person who made the report is notified of the results either in writing or over the phone.

The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) manages the Texas Abuse Hotline. DFPS investigates complaints of abuse, neglect and exploitation not investigated by DADS.

Call the Texas Abuse Hotline at 1-800-252-5400 or make a report online through their secure website at:

Call the hotline to report abuse, neglect or exploitation of:

  • People with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) who live in their community
  • People with IDD who live in a state supported living center
  • People getting help through the Home and Community-based Services program
  • People getting help through the Texas Home Living Program
  • People who get help from a home health agency
  • People who get hospice services
  • Children who do not live in a DADS facility

top of page

Updated: August 24, 2016