The PoC as a Management Tool
The provider plays a singular role in achieving and maintaining compliance.
The provider must know the requirements based on the state and federal regulations in order to provide services that meet those requirements.
- Therefore, it is important that all staff learn the state licensure requirements, the federal certification requirements, and the State Standards for Participation within their areas of responsibility.
- Staff knowledge and individual responsibility are key factors in achieving and maintaining compliance.
Participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs mandates that facilities take the initiative and responsibility for monitoring their own performance so that they are always in compliance.
The PoC is a valuable management tool because it requires facilities to:
- achieve and maintain compliance;
- ensure that the underlying cause of cited deficient practices does not recur;
- make changes that will result in improved care delivery for individuals; and
- improve provider operations.