Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines a system as "a regularly interacting or interdependent group of items forming a unified whole."
In an ICF/IID, systems that promote individual care, comfort, safety, and well-being can include, but are not limited to:
- daily management and operation of the facility;
- provision of active treatment;
- protection of individuals from abuse and neglect;
- delivery of health care to individuals;
- ensuring freedoms and choices are honored; and
- ensuring staff competency.