Special education law
Federal special education law, known as the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), ensures that all students with disabilities receive a free and appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment — meaning close to home and in a regular classroom — to the maximum extent possible. The resources in this section provide an overview of what the federal law requires and allows. Other resources offer tips and strategies on how to achieve the best educational outcomes for your child or dependent with autism.
- The Building the Legacy: IDEA 2004 website, from the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Special Education Programs, provides resources related to IDEA and its implementing regulations.
- The Texas Education Agency provides a comprehensive special education resources section on their website called Special Education in Texas, with topics listed in alphabetical order.
- The National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities provides information on special education, including IDEA.
- Wrightslaw offers parents, educators, advocates and attorneys information about special education law, education law and advocacy for children with disabilities.
- The Texas Education Agency website includes information on special education rules and regulations, including a side-by-side comparison of federal regulations, state laws and state board of education/commissioner's rules (PDF format).
- Autism-PDD.net includes information on autism education services for children and the law.
- Disability Rights Texas (also known as Advocacy Incorporated) provides a list of various education resources, including a parent and student education manual called "IDEA The Manual for Parents and Students About Special Education Services in Texas 2012" (PDF format).
- Texas Project FIRST, created by parents for parents and a project of the Texas Education Agency, offers Special Education 101 with tools that explain the special education process.
- Partners Resource Network includes several free online courses covering IDEA 2004, procedural standards and Partners in Education. (Registration and login is required.)
- About.com hosts an article titled "IDEA — What You Need to Know."
top of page
Updated: October 31, 2013