The mission and performance of the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) are under review by the Texas Legislature as required under the Texas Sunset Act. The Act provides that the Sunset Commission, composed of legislators and public members, periodically evaluate a state agency to determine if the agency is still needed and to explore ways to ensure that the agency's funds are well spent. Based on the recommendations of the Sunset Commission, the Texas Legislature ultimately decides whether an agency continues to operate into the future.
The Sunset review involves three steps.
- Sunset Commission staff will evaluate DADS and issue a report in May 2014 recommending solutions to problems found.
- A month or so later, the Sunset Commission will meet to hear public testimony on the agency and the recommendations of the Sunset staff.
- Based on public input and the Sunset staff report, the Sunset Commission will adopt recommendations for the full Legislature to consider when it convenes in January 2015. Please refer to the Sunset Commission website or call the office for updated information on specific dates for these meetings.
Through the Sunset review, every Texan has the opportunity to suggest ways in which the mission and operations of DADS can be strengthened. If you would like to share your ideas about the department, please send an email to the address below, use the comment form on the Sunset Commission website, or contact Amy Trost of the Sunset staff. Suggestions are preferred by Dec. 16, 2013, so they can be fully considered by the Sunset Commission staff.
Sunset Advisory Commission
P.O. Box 13066
Austin, Texas 78711
Information about the Sunset process, Sunset Commission meetings and how to receive Sunset Commission email updates is available at: www.sunset.state.tx.us.
The entire report is called "Complete DADS Self-Evaluation Report." However, for faster download times, the report also has been broken into smaller sections.
- Access, Intake, and Eligibility Services
- Community-based Services
- Facility-based Services
- Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs)
- Local Authorities
- Medicaid Estate Recovery Program
- Guardianship Services
- Community Outreach, Engagement, and Volunteerism
- Quality of Long-term Services and Supports
- Regulatory Services
- State Supported Living Centers
- Operational Support
Questions and comments about the DADS report can be sent to email@example.com.
- To learn more about the Sunset process, visit the Texas Sunset Advisory Commission's website.
- To read other HHS agency Sunset reports:
Updated: October 8, 2013