Abilene State Supported Living Center
P.O. Box 451
Abilene, Texas 79604
Click here for directions to the Abilene State Supported Living Center.
About Abilene State Supported Living Center
- Opened in 1957.
- The 176-acre state supported living center is home to approximately 450 people.
- Approximately 1,340 people work at the state supported living center.
- The state supported living center is managed by Director Linda Hinshaw.
- The state supported living center serves 18 counties: Brown, Callahan, Coleman, Comanche, Eastland, Erath, Hood, Johnson, Jones, McCulloch, Mills, Palo Pinto, Parker, San Saba, Shackelford, Somervell, Stephens and Taylor. (Click here for a map in PDF format that shows the state supported living centers and the counties they serve.)
Become a volunteer
Volunteers can help improve the quality of life for residents. There are two ways to volunteer:
- To volunteer at a living center, visit the DADS State Supported Living Center Volunteer website to learn more or to register as a volunteer.
- To become involved with the Volunteer Services Council, visit their website. The VSC is a 501 (3) c nonprofit organization that helps improve the lives of residents through donations, service projects and other means.
Family members and friends are encouraged to visit the facility as frequently as possible. We request that all visitors check in at the switchboard/administration building upon arriving at the facility to assure that appropriate record of the visit is maintained. Prior arrangements for visiting in homes is encouraged.
Guest houses for visiting families
Abilene State Supported Living Center has two guest houses for visiting families. Call 325-795-3217 to make a reservation.
The Oakwood Trails nature area is available to residents and family members. Limited use is also available to other groups for a nominal fee. Facilities include a large indoor meeting area with full kitchen facilities, campgrounds with handicap-accessible restrooms and a handicap-accessible fishing dock. Call 325-795-3370 to make reservations.
Centennial Park has a playground and pavilion. It is open daily to the from 7 a.m. until dusk. The park is handicap-accessible and offers restroom facilities. Call 325-692-4053 to reserve the pavilion.
How to arrange a tour
- Public tours are available by contacting the Community Relations Office at 325-795-3547.
- Press tours are available by contacting the DADS Communications Office at 512-438-3056.
Vocational services provide residents with an on-site workshop and the opportunity to work in community-based settings. Call 325-795-3619 to learn more.
You can learn about supported employment for individuals who live at state supported living centers by visiting the state supported living center supported employment website. The site includes a video about the supported employment program.
Updated: January 31, 2013