Promoting Independence Advisory Committee
The basis of this revised Promoting Independence Plan (Plan) is the result of recommendations made by the Promoting Independence Advisory Committee (Committee) in its 2010 Stakeholder Report submitted to the Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) as required by section 531.02441(i), Government Code.  The Committee met on a quarterly basis during the last biennium to:
- Continue the work of the Promoting Independence Initiative .
- Coordinate and oversee the implementation of the Plan.
- Provide ongoing policy discussions on issues pertaining to community integration.
- Recommend policy initiatives for this Plan.
Section 531.02441 also directs the Committee to:
- Study and make recommendations on developing a comprehensive, effective working plan to ensure appropriate care settings for persons with disabilities by submitting a report to HHSC on an annual basis.
- Advise HHSC on giving primary consideration to methods to identify and assess each person who resides in an institution but chooses to live in the community and for whom a transfer from an institution to the community is appropriate, as determined by the person’s treating professionals.
- Advise HHSC on determining the health and human services agencies’ availability of community care and support options and identifying, addressing, and monitoring barriers to implementation of the Plan.
- Advise HHSC on identifying funding options for the Plan.
The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) provides support to the Committee. 
- 2010 PIAC Stakeholder Report can be found at: http://www.dads.state.tx.us/providers/pi/piac_reports/index.html.
- HHSC has responsibility for the Initiative, however, it formally delegated daily management of the Initiative’s activities to DADS in an October 2004 Health and Human Services Circular C-002 (see Appendix C or access the Circular at http://www.hhs.state.tx.us/news/circulars/C-002.shtml).
top of page
May 24, 2011