Appendix H – Steve Ashman’s Resume
Senior management positions with extensive experience in the development of senior citizen and other special needs housing, Medicaid programs and Older American Act funded services. Skilled in use of federal, state and local funding strategies for supportive services and the development of senior and special needs housing. Excellent background in facility design, construction, operations and budgeting for senior/special needs housing, adult day care and senior centers. Experienced in developing and implementing health care, supportive and recreational services for senior and special needs programs. Certified Housing Development Finance Professional through the National Development Council.
Director, Division of Senior and Disabilities Services, State of Alaska, September 2001 to July 2005, Juneau, Alaska
- Responsible and accountable for the planning, budgeting, staffing and operations of the Division of Senior and Disabilities Services.
- Annual operating budget of approximately $285 million and a staff of 85.
- Managed the following programs: four Medicaid waiver programs, Nursing Home admissions, Personal Care Attendant programs, Adult Protective Services, Assisted Living Licensing, Alaska Medicare Information Help Line, Medicaid Quality Assurance Program, US Administration on Aging programs and Rural Long-Term Care Development activities.
- Managed funding sources, program compliance and technical assistance for all US Administration on Aging/Older American’s Act programs operated in the state of Alaska.
- Development and implementation of new state law, regulation and policy and procedure for health, supportive and recreational services for senior citizens and other special needs populations.
- Liaison to the Office of the Governor, the Alaska Legislature and the public regarding program and policy issues.
- Improved processing time of medical eligibility determinations by 65%.
- Achieved a 15% reduction of state general funds through regulatory changes to Waiver programs, implementation of operational efficiencies and refinancing strategies.
- Directed recruitment, retention and professional development of supervisors and staff.
- Negotiated and consummated all professional contracts.
Housing Relations Officer, Alaska Housing Finance Corporation. October 1990 to September 2001, Anchorage, Alaska
- Primary responsibilities were two fold: administration of the Senior Housing Office and management of the corporation’s HOME CHOICE program (home buyer education, counseling and outreach activities).
- Administration, development and management of the Senior Housing Office, including administration of the Senior Housing Revolving Fund.
- Conducted market demand and financial feasibility analysis for senior housing development for locations throughout the State of Alaska.
- Authored and published the Senior Housing Market Demand and Financial Feasibility Analysis for the State of Alaska - 1995 through 2010.
- Underwrote commercial real estate loans for the development of senior and special needs housing.
- Expertise in funding programs and strategies utilizing bond financing, Low Income Housing Tax Credits, and grant funds, including HUD and USDA Rural Development Housing programs (Section 8 Certificates/Vouchers, HUD 202, 221, 232, 811, HOME, CDBG programs, USDA RD 515, etc.).
- Provided expert opinion to corporate management, Alaska’s administrative and legislative bodies, senior citizen organizations, developers and the banking industry on trends and issues affecting senior citizens.
- Responsible for coordination with other private, local, state and federal agencies to promote a comprehensive response to the unique needs housing of Alaskan senior citizens and people with disabilities.
- Liaison to HUD, USDA Rural Development, Alaska Department of Health and Social Services and Regional Housing Authorities concerning the development of senior and special needs housing.
- Expanded the senior housing market – doubling the number of independent senior housing units and tripling the number of assisted living units within the State of Alaska.
- In the educational area, responsible for development of educational materials and curriculum, supervision of class instructors and clerical support and outreach to the real estate, banking and construction industry. Professional experience in teaching adults exceeds four years and almost 2,000 hours in a classroom setting.
- (Note: in 1992, the Alaska Legislature merged all housing related activities to the Alaska Housing Finance Corporation. While operating the Senior Housing Office for the State Department of Community and Regional Affairs, I was designated as the Rural Development Officer and provided guidance and over site to field offices on rural economic development activities.)
Loan Examiner III, Alaska Department of Natural Resources and Department of Commerce and Economic Development, July 1987 to October 1990 and August 1985 to July 1987, Anchorage, Alaska
- Detailed financial analysis of loan applications based upon repayment capacity, character, credit worthiness and collateral offered by the applicant or required by the lender.
- Financing ranged from funding of working capital, property acquisition to long term economic development projects.
- Conducted appraisals of collateral and property inspections.
- Represented the Department(s) at meetings and conferences of local community organizations, trade groups and trade associations.
Bachelors of Science, Business Management
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA
BOARD AND COMMISSION MEMBERSHIPS
- Commissioner, Alaska Commission on Aging
- State Director, Alaska State Unit on Aging, US Older American Act Programs
- Board Member, Alaska State Independent Living Council
- Board Member, Alaska Traumatic Brain Injury Advisory Council
- Commissioner’s Designee, Governors Council on Disabilities and Special Education
- Advisory Board, Alaska Geriatric Education Center, University of Alaska, Anchorage
- Member, Health Steering Committee, Alaska Denali Commission
- Member, Governor’s Task Force on Prescription Drugs
top of page
December 14, 2010