Medication Aide Program
This program is mandated by the Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 242, Subchapter N, concerning the administration of medications to facility residents, and the Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 142, Subchapter B, concerning the administration of medication by a home and community support services agency.
Medication aide permitting activities are conducted by the Nursing Facility Administrator Licensing Branch (512-438-2025) and include:
- Permitting activities, including continuing education, issuance and renewal
- Approving and monitoring of medication aide training programs in educational institutions
- Developing educational, training and testing curricula
- Coordinating and administering tests
Medication aide enforcement activities are conducted by the Professional Credentialing Enforcement Unit (512-438-5495) and include:
- Coordinating referrals and due process for medication aides related to findings of misconduct and/or violation(s) of the Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 242 or Licensing Standards for Medication Aides at 40 Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 95.
- Imposing and monitoring sanctions.
DADS Nurse Aide Registry, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct Registry Phone Line
The DADS toll-free telephone number providers previously used to check the Nurse Aide Registry, Medication Aide and the Employee Misconduct Registry is no longer in use. All providers and other customers are now directed to the website below to access the Nurse Aide Registry and Employee Misconduct Registry.
To check the status of a medication aide please see the following “Employability Status Check Search” website and enter the medication aide’s name or social security number. https://emr.dads.state.tx.us/DadsEMRWeb/emrRegistrySearch.jsp
Updated: June 23, 2015