Nurse Aide Registry
The state of Texas maintains a registry of all nurse aides who are certified to provide services in nursing facilities and skilled nursing facilities licensed by the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS). To contact the nurse aide registry, please call 512-438-2050.
DADS is in the process of implementing an online system for nurse aides. During this process nurse aide testing dates will be adjusted between June 13, 2015 to July 8, 2015. No nurse aide records will be updated during this time. If you need to check the status of a nurse aide use the following website: https://emr.dads.state.tx.us/DadsEMRWeb/. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we strive to improve services to our customers.
Nurse aide registration (certification) activities are conducted by the Nursing Facility Administrator Licensing Branch and include:
- approval and monitoring of nurse aide training and competency evaluation programs (NATCEPs); and
- issuance and continuance of nurse aide registrations, including oversight of nurse aide testing development and administration.
Nurse aides renewing their certification are required to complete 24 hours of in-service education every two years. For a list of approved programs, see the tab to the left titled “Approved In-Service Education Programs”.
DADS also reviews and investigates allegations of abuse, neglect, or misappropriation of resident property by nurse aides. If there's a finding of an alleged act of abuse, neglect or misappropriation, the nurse aide may request both an informal reconsideration and a formal hearing before the finding is placed on the registry.
All DADS-regulated facilities and agencies are required to check both the Nurse Aide Registry and the Employee Misconduct Registry before hiring an individual to determine if the person is listed in either registry as having committed an act of abuse, neglect, exploitation, misappropriation or misconduct against a resident or consumer and is, therefore, unemployable. Currently, there is one method available to perform these required searches:
- Using DADS' Employability Status Search at https://emr.dads.state.tx.us/DadsEMRWeb/.
Nurse aide enforcement activities are conducted by the Professional Credentialing Enforcement unit (512-438-5495) and include:
- coordinating due process related to referrals of misconduct by a nurse aide that occur in nursing facilities; and
- entering findings of abuse, neglect and misappropriation of resident property, as appropriate.
Updated: May 12, 2015