Q: I would like to open a nurse aide training program. What are the
NATCEP qualifications and how do I apply?
A: Entities interested in offering a NATCEP must submit an application to the DADS Credentialing Department.
The requirements for NATCEPs are listed in the Licensing Standards for Nurse Aides (40 TAC Chapter 94). The Texas Administrative Code can be viewed on the Internet at the Texas Secretary of State website.
Q: I would like to offer in-service education to nurse aides. How do I apply for approval?
A: All approved NATCEPs are eligible to offer in-service education. Please complete page 4 of the NATCEP application, Form-5514 found at: www.dads.state.tx.us/forms/5514-NATCEP/ and submit to the address on the application. Also, all non-facility based NATCEPs are required to obtain additional approval through the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). Please contact TWC at 512-936-3100.
Q: How can I obtain an application to apply for NATCEP?
A: You can download an application packet from our Forms webpage. Be sure to complete the entire application. If you have questions, send an e-mail to: email@example.com.
Q: What are the qualifications for a program director?
A: The program director must:
- be licensed as a registered nurse in the state of Texas;
- have a minimum of two years of nursing experience, at least one year of which must be in the provision of long-term care services in a facility; and
- have completed a course in teaching adults or have experience in teaching adults or supervising nurse aides.
Q: What are the qualifications for a program instructor?
A: The program instructor must:
- be a licensed nurse in the state of Texas;
- have a minimum of one year of nursing experience in a facility;
- have completed a course in teaching adults or have experience in teaching adults or supervising nurse aides; and
- work under the general direction of the program director or be the approved program director who meets the requirement.
Q: What is on the CEP (examination)?
A: The CEP consists of:
- A skills examination, which requires the candidate to demonstrate competency in five randomly selected skills drawn from a list of 34 skills.
- A written examination made up of 70 multiple-choice questions. The exam may be taken orally upon request.
Q: Is there a list of training providers?
A: A searchable directory is available on our website.
Q: I understand that Texas NATCEP providers must teach the state-approved curriculum for nurse aides. How can I obtain a copy?
A: You can download a copy from the "Nurse Aide Curriculum."
Q: Is there a practice exam available, so that I can better prepare my students?
A: A practice examination is available online at http://www.promissor.com.
Q: Can the training program charge for Nurse Aide Training curriculum materials?
A: Pursuant to 42 CFR 483.152 (c), trainees who are employed by a nursing facility may not be charged for training or training materials.
Q: Is there a number I can call to check on the status of a nurse aide?
A: You can call the toll-free number, 1-800-452-3934, and follow the prompts. You will be required to provide the nurse aide's Social Security number. Email questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated: September 22, 2014