ALF Pre-Licensure Computer-based Training Information
Effective May 1, 2009, before an assisted living facility can become licensed, the applicant must complete this important preliminary training, called "Assisted Living Facility Pre-Licensure Training," as required by Title 40 of the Texas Administrative Code (TAC) §92.14.
To ensure that ALF licensure applicants can meet the requirement to become licensed, the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) has created this online computer-based training (CBT). The ALF pre-licensure training is intended to prepare prospective applicants for licensure for the inspection to become a licensed ALF. Successful completion of this pre-licensure CBT will help an applicant prepare for the initial inspection and provide answers to some of the questions that prospective applicants may have about the licensing of ALFs. This training is designed to provide an introduction to the licensure process and does not cover every regulation.
Who is required to participate in the pre-licensure CBT?
In Texas, facilities must be licensed to operate if it furnishes (in one or more facilities) food and shelter to four or more persons unrelated to the proprietor of the establishment and the facility provides personal care services to at least one person. The person applying for an initial license to operate an ALF must complete the CBT.
How long will it take to complete the CBT?
This CBT will take from one to two hours to complete; however, there is no time limit imposed on participants. If you exit the course before finishing, your progress will not be saved. You will need to launch the course from the beginning.
What do you do after you complete the training?
After completing the training, applicants must print out a participation verification certificate. Sign the original document, keep a copy for your facility’s records and submit the original copy with your facility’s license application. Application packets will not be accepted without this document!
Steps to taking the ALF pre-licensure CBT
- Obtain the required materials. In order to successfully complete the ALF Pre-Licensure CBT, participants must have access to the most current copies of all relevant regulations and laws. Click on each document title to download and print.
- All CBT participants must have access to the following documents:
- Complete the participation verification certificate. Upon completion of the training, print and sign the participant verification certificate. Directions for completing this form are on the form. This completed form must be submitted with all ALF license applications.
To start the training, click on the link below:
- For questions regarding your licensure application, please contact an ALF licensing specialist at 512-438-2630.
- For questions regarding rules, please contact an ALF rule writer at 512-438-3161.
- For questions regarding policies, please contact an ALF policy specialist at 512-438-3161.
- If you have technical problems with the CBT, email email@example.com.
A list of useful telephone numbers is available for your convenience.
Updated: January 12, 2015