Assisted Living Facilities (ALF)
Assisted living facilities provide individualized health and personal care assistance in a homelike setting with an emphasis on personal dignity, autonomy, independence and privacy. Facilities can be large apartment-like settings or private residences. Services include meals, bathing, dressing, toileting and administering or supervising medication.
Texas licenses assisted living facilities based on residents' physical and mental ability to evacuate the facility in an emergency and whether nighttime attendance is necessary.
- A Type A facility cares for residents who do not require routine attendance during sleeping hours and are capable of following directions in an emergency.
- A Type B facility is for residents who require staff assistance to evacuate, are not capable of following directions in an emergency and require nighttime attendance.
The Assisted Living Facility Information brochure (PDF) explains the variety of assisted living facilities available in Texas, who they care for, and the services they provide. Assisted living facilities are regulated under Health and Safety Code, Chapter 247 and Texas Administrative Code(TAC), Title 40, Part I, Chapter 92.
Assisted Living Facility Directory
Regulatory Comment Card Survey
News & Alerts
- Still Time to Register for a Free Hurricane Summit in Houston on June 22 (June 16, 2016)
- Agenda, Call-in Number Now Available for June 17 CHOW Meeting (June 15, 2016)
- Medicaid Re-enrollment Application Deadline This Friday (June 14, 2016)
- Apply Now for Membership on the ADRC and Texas Respite Advisory Committees (June 13, 2016)
- Updated: DADS Releases Free Training on Mental Health Wellness for Individuals with an IDD (June 3, 2016)
- Previous alerts
- Learn to Comply with Food Establishment Rules and Earn Free CEUs at August Training (June 8, 2016)
- Learn to Meet the Needs of Aging Texans at 2016 Geriatric Symposium (June 2, 2016)
- Save the Date: 2016 Geriatric Symposium Slated for Aug. 1-2 (May 3, 2016)
|IL 2016-22 PDF||Preparing for the Upcoming Fiscal Year 2016 Fee-for-Service Claims Billing Closeout||06/13/2016|
|PL 2016-10 PDF||New Tool for Reporting Survey Inconsistencies||04/14/2016|
|IL 2016-13 PDF||Supported Decision-Making Agreement Act||03/23/2016|
|PL 2016-02 PDF||New Information on Handguns in ALFs||03/03/2016|
|PL 2015-37 PDF||Revised Disclosure Section of Form 3720-N (NF Application), Form 3720 (ALF,DAHS, and ICF/IID Application) and Form 3736 (Type C ALF Application) Note: (Replaces PL 11-02)||12/31/2015|
|16-28 PDF||Update Report on the National Partnership to Improve Dementia Care in Nursing Homes||N/A||06/03/2016|
|16-27 PDF||Public Release of Nursing Home Enforcement Information Announcement||N/A||06/03/2016|
|16-26 PDF||Fiscal Year (FY) 2016 to FY 2017 Nursing Home Action Plan||N/A||05/20/2016|
|16-25 PDF||DRAFT Long-Term Care Facility (LTCF) Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI) 3.0 Users Manual, Version 1.14, Release||N/A||05/20/2016|
|16-22 PDF||Notification of Final Rule Published: Adoption of 2012 Life Safety and Health Care Facilities Code||N/A||05/06/2016|
|2016-05 PDF||Employee Misconduct Registry (EMR), Nurse Aide Registry (NAR), and Medication Aide Registry (MAR) Referral Process||06/22/2016|
|2016-04 PDF||Survey Revisit Guidance||06/08/2016|
|2016-02 PDF||Prompt Reporting of Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation (ANE)||02/23/2016|
|2016-01 PDF||Nursing Facility Administrator (NFA) License Verification||01/26/2016|
|2015-01 PDF||Complaint and Incident Intake Functions (Replaces S&CC 03-08)||04/12/2015|
|2014-02 PDF||Guidance for Processing Non-Compliance with State Licensure Requirements||05/16/2014|
|2012-04 PDF||CMS Region VI-Dallas Delegation of Notification of the Imposition and Starting Date of Optional Denial of Payment for New Admissions to the State Survey Agencies in Region VI||03/14/2012|
|2012-02 PDF||Procedural Instructions for Processing Certifications Concerning Legal Names and Doing Business as Names of Providers and Suppliers||02/17/2012|
|2012-01 PDF||Voluntary Termination and Related Processes||02/10/2012|
|2010-02 PDF||Documents for Processing Certification Actions for All Non-Long Term Care Providers/Suppliers (except ICFs/MR and Clinical Laboratories)||05/27/2010|
Subscribe to Email Updates
Updated: May 27, 2016