Assisted Living Facilities (ALF)
Assisted living facilities provide individualized health and personal care assistance in a homelike setting with an emphasis on personal dignity, autonomy, independence and privacy. Facilities can be large apartment-like settings or private residences. Services include meals, bathing, dressing, toileting and administering or supervising medication.
Texas licenses assisted living facilities based on residents' physical and mental ability to evacuate the facility in an emergency and whether nighttime attendance is necessary.
- A Type A facility cares for residents who do not require routine attendance during sleeping hours and are capable of following directions in an emergency.
- A Type B facility is for residents who require staff assistance to evacuate, are not capable of following directions in an emergency and require nighttime attendance.
The Assisted Living Facility Information brochure (PDF) explains the variety of assisted living facilities available in Texas, who they care for, and the services they provide. Assisted living facilities are regulated under Health and Safety Code, Chapter 247 and Texas Administrative Code(TAC), Title 40, Part I, Chapter 92.
Assisted Living Facility Directory
Regulatory Comment Card Survey
News & Alerts
- Proposed New Rule and Amendments to 40 TAC 92, Licensing Standards for ALFs (April 28, 2016)
- Avoid Being Dis-enrolled from Medicaid by Meeting the June 17 Deadline (March 10, 2016)
- Public Comment Opportunities for the LTC Facility Survey and IDR Council (S.B. 914) (March 4, 2016)
- CMS Extends Provider Re-enrollment Deadline (Jan. 15, 2016)
- Updated Advance Directives Forms Now Available (Jan. 15, 2016)
- Previous alerts
- Save the Date: 2016 Geriatric Symposium Slated for Aug. 1-2 (May 3, 2016)
- Learn to Prepare for a Hurricane at a Free Summit in Houston (April 29, 2016)
- LTC Facility Survey and IDR Council Meets May 10 in Austin (April 26, 2016)
|PL 2016-10 PDF||New Tool for Reporting Survey Inconsistencies||04/14/2016|
|IL 2016-13 PDF||Supported Decision-Making Agreement Act||03/23/2016|
|PL 2016-02 PDF||New Information on Handguns in ALFs||03/03/2016|
|PL 2015-37 PDF||Revised Disclosure Section of Form 3720-N (NF Application), Form 3720 (ALF,DAHS, and ICF/IID Application) and Form 3736 (Type C ALF Application) Note: (Replaces PL 11-02)||12/31/2015|
|PL 2015-34||Information Related to Review of Criminal History, Nurse Aide Registry (NAR), and Employee Misconduct Registry (EMR) on Facility Job Applicants, Employees, and Volunteers
(Removed on January 15, 2016; Replaces PL 06-48)
|16-17 PDF||Affordable Care Act Section 6103: Guidance for State Consumer Oriented Websites- Update to Survey and Certification Letter 11-41-NHs||N/A||03/25/2016|
|16-15 PDF||State Operations Manual (SOM) Surveyor Guidance Revisions Related to Psychosocial Harm in Nursing Homes||N/A||03/25/2016|
|16-14 PDF||Release of 2015 Nursing Home Data Compendium||N/A||03/25/2016|
|16-13 PDF||Payroll-Based Journal (PBJ) - Implementation of required electronic submission of Staffing Data for Long Term Care (LTC) Facilities||N/A||03/18/2016|
|16-09 PDF||Certification Number (CCN) State Codes State Operations Manual (SOM) Section 2779A Revisions||N/A||03/11/2016|
|2016-02 PDF||Prompt Reporting of Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation (ANE)||02/23/2016|
|2016-01 PDF||Nursing Facility Administrator (NFA) License Verification||01/26/2016|
|2015-01 PDF||Complaint and Incident Intake Functions (Replaces S&CC 03-08)||04/12/2015|
|2014-08 PDF||Locked Units in Assisted Living Facilities without an Alzheimers Certification||11/05/2014|
|2014-06 PDF||Locked Units in Nursing Facilities without an Alzheimers Certification||10/22/2014|
|2014-02 PDF||Guidance for Processing Non-Compliance with State Licensure Requirements||05/16/2014|
|2012-04 PDF||CMS Region VI-Dallas Delegation of Notification of the Imposition and Starting Date of Optional Denial of Payment for New Admissions to the State Survey Agencies in Region VI||03/14/2012|
|2012-02 PDF||Procedural Instructions for Processing Certifications Concerning Legal Names and Doing Business as Names of Providers and Suppliers||02/17/2012|
|2012-01 PDF||Voluntary Termination and Related Processes||02/10/2012|
|2010-02 PDF||Documents for Processing Certification Actions for All Non-Long Term Care Providers/Suppliers (except ICFs/MR and Clinical Laboratories)||05/27/2010|
Subscribe to Email Updates
Updated: April 19, 2016