Lone Star Card
- To provide HHSC with a method of issuing TANF and food stamp benefits via Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT).
- To provide TANF and food stamp households with a method of accessing EBT benefit accounts.
When to Issue
Follow the local office security procedures for issuing Lone Star Cards.
The local office EBT clerk
- issues a Lone Star Card when requested by the Texas Works advisor on Form H1172, EBT Card, PIN and Data Entry Request;
- issues replacement cards in limited situations as required in B-235; and
- may mail an unregistered Lone Star Card in certain situations.
When issuing a Lone Star Card, the local office EBT clerk
- logs the Personal Account Number (PAN) on Form H1173, EBT Card Issuance and PIN Self-selection/Issuance Log,
- verifies the identity of the person receiving the card,
- requests this person's signature on Form H1173 to verify receipt of the Lone Star Card, and
- ensures that the cardholder signs the back of the card if issuing directly to the cardholder.
For more information, see
- the instructions to Form H1172 and Form H1173, and
- the Security and Accountability Handbook.
The EBT vendor mails an unregistered Lone Star Card to a
- cardholder who requests a replacement card, or
- new primary cardholder (PCH) in certain situations.
Issue a Lone Star Card for each new Primary Cardholder and Secondary Cardholder.
Issue a replacement card in limited situations as required in B-235.