Lone Star Card
- To provide the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) with a method of issuing Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits through the Lone Star electronic benefit transfer (EBT) system.
- To provide TANF and SNAP households with a method of accessing their EBT benefit accounts.
When to Issue
Follow the local office security procedures for issuing Lone Star Cards.
The local office EBT clerk:
- issues a Lone Star Card when requested by a Texas Works advisor who uses Form H1172, EBT Card, PIN and Data Entry Request, to make the request;
- issues replacement cards in limited situations as required in Section B-235, Lone Star Card Replacement, of the Texas Works Handbook (TWH); and
- may mail an unregistered Lone Star Card in certain situations.
When issuing a Lone Star Card, the local office EBT clerk:
- logs the Personal Account Number (PAN) on Form H1173, EBT Card Issuance and PIN Self-Selection/Issuance Log;
- verifies the identity of the person receiving the card;
- requests this person's signature on Form H1173 to verify receipt of the Lone Star Card; and
- ensures that the cardholder signs the back of the card if issuing directly to the cardholder.
For more information, see:
The EBT vendor mails an unregistered Lone Star Card to a:
- cardholder who requests a replacement card, or
- new primary cardholder (PCH) in certain situations.
Issue a Lone Star Card for each new PCH and secondary cardholder.
Issue a replacement card in limited situations as required in TWH Section B-235.