Form 5505-NAR, Request for Entry on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry Through Reciprocity

Effective Date: 7/2015


PDF: 5505-NAR.pdf


Updated: 5/2015


To transfer nurse aide certification to Texas from another state.


  • You must be active in the transferring state to be eligible to transfer your certification to Texas.
  • A listing of Nurse Aide Registries in the United States is provided for your convenience at

    Nurse Aide Registry staff will complete the EMR check. However, the individual requesting reciprocity must obtain a criminal history check from the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). For instructions on how an individual can obtain a criminal history check, contact your local DPS office or visit the website:, click on Crime Statistics, then click on Criminal History Search. Please be sure to complete separate searches for each last name you have ever had. You must submit your criminal history results along with the reciprocity Form 5505-NAR to be placed on the Texas Nurse Aide Registry by reciprocity.
  • If you need assistance with the DPS website, contact online support at 1-866-220-0679.


  1. Complete all information in Section 1. Your signature is required at the bottom of Section 1 to verify that the information you provided is correct.
  2. Mail this form to the state where you are currently active so they can verify your status in Section 2. The following states do not complete Section 2 of the form 5505-NAR: California, Colorado, Illinois, Missouri and North Carolina. You only need to complete Section 1 and mail to Texas.
  3. Once Section 1 and Section 2 are complete, mail this form, a legible photocopy of a picture identification that shows your birth date and the correct spelling of your name, your criminal history results from DPS to: Texas Nurse Aide Registry, P.O. Box 149030, Mail Code E-414, Austin, TX 78714-9030.
  4. If you do not have an expiration date in the state you are active in, you must also complete and submit Form 5506-NAR, Employment Verification. The form must be completed by your most recent employer (within the last two years).

Important Information

  • The process of transferring your certification from another state to Texas will take approximately two to three weeks, depending on how quickly you (and your former employer) are able to complete the forms.
  • Your certification must be current and in good standing in your home state. If your certification is expired in that state, you will be required to retrain and retest to become certified in Texas. A list of approved nurse aide training programs is available at:
  • If forms are not complete and proper documentation attached, the Texas Nurse Aide Registry cannot process your request for reciprocity.
Top of Page