Reasons to work for DADS
Salaries are commensurate with education and level of experience. Opportunities for merit increases and promotion are available. In addition, a shift differential may be paid to employees who work other than normal shifts.
Employees earn $20 per month for every two years of service for a maximum of $420 per month.
Improving job skills is important to us. Therefore, we offer education and training opportunities through:
- Paid training
- Online training
- Professional licensing
- Educational assistance programs
- Employee internships
The state of Texas offers free, comprehensive medical insurance for employees, and pays 50 percent of the premium cost for dependents (possibly as much as 90 percent for qualifying children). Coverage is effective after 90 days with no pre-existing conditions exclusions.
Coverage, which is effective immediately, is available for employees and their dependents at group rates. There are two plans from which to choose.
Short- and long-term disability
This coverage may be purchased at group rates.
- Basic term life insurance — $5,000 coverage plus $5,000 for accidental death and dismemberment, both paid by the state.
- Optional life insurance — Amounts from one to four times your annual salary may be purchased at group rates.
- Voluntary accidental death and dismemberment — You determine your level of coverage from $10,000 to $200,000.
- Dependent life insurance — $5,000 term life and $5,000 accidental death and dismemberment coverage may be purchased for dependents.
Holidays and leave
State employees receive an average of 15 paid holidays per year.
New, full-time employees accrue eight hours of vacation leave per month. The vacation accrual amount increases with additional years of state service.
|Total years of state service||Hours accrued per month|
|Less than 2 years||8|
|2 years but less than 5||9|
|5 years but less than 10||10|
|10 years but less than 15||11|
|15 years but less than 20||13|
|20 years but less than 25||15|
|25 years but less than 30||17|
|30 years but less than 35||19|
|35 years or more||21|
Full-time employees accrue eight hours per month. Eligible employees can also apply for extended sick leave and leave from the Sick Leave Pool.
The state matches employee contributions with automatic enrollment after 90 days for new employees. Vesting occurs after five years of service; health coverage is available after 10 years of service.
Other optional benefits
- Deferred compensation (457)
- Texa$aver 401(k) Plan
- Legal Protection Plan
- TexFlex reimbursement accounts
- Direct deposit of pay
Updated: April 23, 2013